The last time I wrote, I mentioned that I was going to Alexandria. Well I went, and came back, and have been extremely busy since then (what else is new). We drove down Friday morning in the group vans to Alexandria, and we got there around noon. The first thin
In Alexandria, we became tourists again, and visited some really nice places. The first place we went was Qaitbay Citadel. What is with it with Egypt and relaxi
Our last scheduled stop of the day was at the library of Alexandria. Yes we went to a library, and it was awesome
Security has been enforced upon us everywhere we have traveled. As if we don’t stick out enough ourselves, our vans have the word "tourist" written on them, so the police usually stop us and give us an escort. I realized during one of these times when they were giving us an escort, that there isn’t really any method pulling over in Egypt. It took me a minute to realize that the policemen had stopped us right in the middle of a 3 lane road. They didn’t bother to have us pull over; they just assumed that the other cars would maneuver around us. Luckily they did, but as I looked out the back window, I just thought it seemed funny that we were "pulled over" in the dead center of a main road.
On Sunday night we had our next fun experience. We went to a socc
The game itself was an unbelievable game to see. The crowd was fairly subdued during the first half as Congo led 1-0 at the break. However, the second half was a different story. Egypt scored two goals – one on a volley that was an absolute laser, and the second on a rebound that beat the keeper upper 90. All three goals in the game were awesome goals (Congo scored on a free kick from about 30 yards out). Overall the game and the atmosphere was so fun and entertaining that it was something I will never forget.
After seeing a soccer game, it made us want to play some soccer ourselves. Our Egyptian friends who brought us to the game, also found a sports club where we could play some soccer. *(By the way I’m writing a reflection post that will sum up everything I remember about Egypt, and this will be written about in there. Actually it will be verbatim because I’ve already written it in. I went to start this post tonight and instead I just started writing a reflection. I wrote about 1000 words before realizing I should probably write this post first. So, back to soccer…)* The facility we went to was ginormous; think of a college campus. It had fields and courts for every sport you could think of – and in excessive amounts. There were at least five basketball courts, ten tennis courts, handball and badmitten courts, not to mention about eight Astroturf soccer fields. The place was chuck-full of kids running around. There must have been over 200 kids on the soccer fields alone. We got there at 9 p.m. and tried to start playing… tried is the key word. We started juggling in a circle, and before I knew it there was a circle of kids surrounding us about 5 people deep. I swear it could have been a never-ending juggle session. If we over kicked it one of the kids would just kick it or head it right back into our circle. They were so excited that there were Americans there playing with them that they stopped playing to come watch. We couldn’t even get enough room to kick it around so we had to wait until the place shut down around 11:30 p.m. Luckily the managers realized we weren’t going to get any time to play so they let us play after most of the kids left. We played for two solid hours before they literally turned the lights off on us at 1:30 a.m. Once again, everything goes late in Cairo – in the U.S. soccer or most physical activity doesn’t go past 10 or 11, in Cairo 1 a.m, easily. The Egyptian students were pretty good at soccer. Well I guess pretty good is an understatement for some of them. Even though I realized how out of shape I am, it was so much fun playing, I had so much energy and just kept running all over just enjoying the experience.
My time in Egypt is winding down, and I’m starting to realize that I really don’t want to leave. The only thing that is keeping me set on leaving is that we have 17 days to travel across Europe – another experience that will be a once in a lifetime opportunity. In the last few days I have a final exam, then a couple free days which hopefully I’ll spend with a lot of the Egyptian students I’ve met, as well as all my friends from the trip. Sunday we meet to have a final dinner at Abdu’s and then we’re going to a park for a debrief. I guess the next time I post I’ll be wrapping up my time here in Egypt and be looking forward to Europe.
By the way, I keep telling myself that I need to enjoy the time and experiences as I have them. I keep catching myself looking forward to other things and not letting my current experiences sink in. Well I’ve changed that. Although I still: can’t wait to go to Europe, can’t wait to move into my new apartment, can’t wait to get onto the coop track again, can’t wait to get some American food I’ve been craving (specifically hot wing pizza from Fat Daddy’s); I know that I’m having the time of my life here in Egypt, so I won’t overlook it.
No comments:
Post a Comment